Which adapters work with Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which adapters work with Linux?

I have a Verizon PC 5740 EVDO PCMCIA card, and a new laptop that boots and runs Linux and has an express card slot, USB, and Firewire (a Serval from system76.com). Will any of the adapters allow me to use my PCMCIA card on my new laptop? Switching to Windows is not an option (I kicked the Windows habit in 1999).

Thank you very much.

Regards
    -- Bhaskar

P.S. My Linux is Kubuntu / Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)

Linux PCMCIA to Express Options

I would so like to kick the windows habit too one of these fine days if i wasn't too lazy to give up the abundance of windows sw

Unfortunately there are currently no PCMCIA to Express adapters that we know of that have drivers for any Linux/Unix O.S. You best bet is to upgrade your datacard to one that has drivers such as the VZW USB727 Modem or follow instructions in places like http://www.linux.com/articles/52729 which you probably already do for your PC5740 (incidentally even without your current predicament you should really get rid of that PC5740 modem)

Another solution is to get a mobile cellular router. These as you might already know convert from Cellular Internet (EVDO Rev0 in your case) to WiFi and LAN which should be supported by any Linux O.S. Main problem is portability though.

In any case it really doesn't make sense to buy a ~ $200 converter when you could upgrade your datacard for slightly more (i.e if you are still under contract otherwise it would be much cheaper than this) and get EVDO RevA speeds with a modem with better EVDO radio performance. Interestingly we bundle data modems & cellular routers for a price less than you would pay for a PCMCIA to USB converter! See Cellular Data Combos
    KF7RCQ

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, Thuor. I'll think about it.

It's actually very easy to kick the Windows habit because there is actually now more software for Linux than there is for Windows, with the exception of games. If anything, the problem on Linux is so many choices...

Regards
      -- Bhaskar

Comment

Working...
      X