Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Have a Qwest pcmia type 2 card, laptop is a express problem is it is a toshiba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Have a Qwest pcmia type 2 card, laptop is a express problem is it is a toshiba

Hi have a P205 s6237 toshiba and need to go from pcmia to express card.. but the only one I found is not good for a toshiba.. HELP!!

Using Qwest PC Card with Express Card Slot Notebook

Originally posted by fdnick View Post
    Hi have a P205 s6237 toshiba and need to go from pcmia to express card.. but the only one I found is not good for a toshiba.. HELP!!
    Hi fdnick. If this is for a simple 802.11b/g WiFi pc card then it doesn't make sense to get a PC to Express converter in the first place. Its much cheaper to just throw it out and replace it with a USB adapter rather than buying a $100+ converter (which would theoretically steal some speed anyway albeit little). Here is an example of a 54mbps USB adapter: http://www.rfwel.com/shop/catalog/NE...USB-p-202.html

So since you didn't specify the application we'll assume it's for use with their mobile broadband data cards (CDMA EVDO). For this your best bet would be to get a mobile cellular router such as: http://www.rfwel.com/shop/catalog/Ky...outer-p-1.html which also gives you additional benefits such as allowing multiple users to be online concurrently, allowing remote access to your network etc.

Now we haven't verified it with Qwest's UT Starcomô PLS5750 Mobile Broadband Card but we know it works with Alltel's UT Starcom PC5750 which is the same card so it's likely that it should work just fine. Interestingly we are also an authorized Qwest dealer so this is one thing we will be testing in the coming weeks but if you want to try it out you may do so and update this post with your results (we have a 30 day refund policy).
    KF7RCQ

Comment

It is the Qwest's UT Starcomô PLS5750, now this machine works on the go?

It is the Qwest's UT Starcomô PLS5750, now this machine works on the go?and does it come with a wall and lighter plug-in or can you order one? the qwest card is actually a sprint network access card but qwest is hte carrier.. Wish I had know there was a problem before I bought my laptop :O).. I will try it!!
      THANKS>>
      Denna

Comment

Yes it works on the go. It actually comes with a car lighter adapter which is handy. At home it has a standard AC/DC adapter to plug to the wall. If you are travelling to areas with not so great coverage you could get an external high gain antenna to connect Qwests Utstartcom 5750 modem such as: http://www.rfwel.com/shop/catalog/Du...tenna-p-7.html

Yeah a lot of people are running into the same issue you are. The laptop manufacturers were unfortunately ahead of other system developers but rest assured that express card slots are the way of the future due to the much faster speeds (sicne they allow connection to the laptops system bus through the much faster pci-express or usb2.0 internal protocol but card bus pc cards only connect to pci bus through a cardbus controller).

We love Sprint's EVDO coverage footprint!
        KF7RCQ

Comment

Update on Qwest PC5750 and Kyocera Kr1 router

We just tested this out and it works great!
          KF7RCQ

Comment

Working...
          X