I have some experience in this field, but hardly the level of expertise that you have. I got my knowledge from many years of trying different amps, pre-amps, etc. to get high quality sound, a little playing with modifying or building some equipment, but mostly by listening to people like you who do know the specifics of circuit design.
So far my 5.8GHz phone has not interfered with the L1520 (the phone is located only 5 feet from the receiver), and with about 15 feet between transmitter and receiver, unexpectedly good sound. In my initial test of the unit, I transmitted the main speaker signal to my main speakers (I still use some very "beefy" 30 year-old Altec Lansing speakers) the sound quality was really excellent. My rear speakers are also three-way Altec Lansing studio monitors, and those also performed very nicely. The sound is not what I would expect from a decent class AB amp, but at least as good as many medium quality commercial amps.
As I use the unit, I'll try to give you some additional feedback. At the same time, if you find the L1550 to be a better performiong device, I'd be interested in purchasing that unit.
BTW, I originally was looking for a receiver that would provide a low-level output (one shortcut in the 1520 that is unfortunate), with the intention of feeding the signal to a really low distortion amp. There are several available commercially, and I have some circuit designs that my son-in-law and I have experimented with; he has been going back to using tube designs while I have continued toward the digital media. In any case, an output directly from the receiver would be a great plus in my opinion.
I'm sure you are aware of some other companies that are also putting out similar transmitter/reciever/amp combinations (maybe they are all built by one company). Some also in the 5.8GHz range and a couple still down at 2.4, and one at 900MHz. I expect that during the next couple of years we will see some new designs that overcome some of the shortcomings that we are experiencing currently.