RFWEL
⌂›Forum›Wireless Communication›Cellular 3G/4G Modems›Need ext antenna capable modem for US/MEX
The RFWEL Forums are now archived. All threads and discussions are preserved here for reference. New posts, replies, and comments are no longer accepted. For support or enquiries, please visit our Knowledge Base or Contact Us.

Need ext antenna capable modem for US/MEX

This thread is part of the RFWEL Forums Archive. It is preserved here for reference and is no longer open for new replies or comments.
⌕
Pageof 1‹›⌗ Filter ▾
D
DonJuane
New Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2
04-10-2015, 01:36 PM
#1
I am looking for an inexpensive, versatile and high performing cell modem for traveling in Mexico and the US that has a usuable antenna jack and will work on the majority of carriers in both countries. That would be all GSM with the caveat that Verizon LTE additionally would be a nice option, but not to the point of severely increasing cost of the modem, In other words I can more easily switch to another modem when needed, of which one could only support Verizon if necessary. A unique Verizon modem that had fall back to 3G CDMA would likely make more sense anyway.

The modem hardware can be USB / Express / PCMCIA and should work with a moderately priced Cradlepoint.

My reason for not just randomly purchasing one is I have read concerns which are beyond my current understanding of the architecture regarding the style of GSM that T-Mobile uses and that Telcel (Mexico) uses or is about to use with their 4G roll out that it's possible run of the mill GSM style modems don't support. I assume (from lack of hearing anything) that the other GSM carriers must not have these issues (US-T-Mobile, MX-MoviStar/iUSAcel)

Now with the external antenna jack the highest priority, followed by lowest price I am looking for the best and most flexible modem (USB/express/PCMCIA) I would not have a problem buying seperate modems if the cost of a single modem that supports all these carriers would he higher than buying 2-3 that cumulatively handled them all. Thank you!
Tags: None