Removal of Venstar T1800 to install Honeywell RTH6580WF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of Venstar T1800 to install Honeywell RTH6580WF

Hi all. I'm replacing an existing Venstar T1800 with a Honeywell RTH6580WF. I'm expecting some issues with the latter, since I've seen posts suggesting that (at least for some firmware versions), the Honeywell is restricted to short Wi-Fi passwords and has trouble with some special characters in passwords. The original thermostat was a plain dumb one which I replaced with a battery operated programmable one many years ago (it's a four wire cable, heat and a/c). A few years back a tech replaced that thermostat with the Venstar T1800, apparently "borrowing" the fan conductor to power the thermostat. I lost manual fan control at that point of course, though it hasn't been a big deal since I never really found running the fan manually to be useful.

Now I want to replace that T1800 with the Honeywell, and my intention is to wire it the same way to provide power. But I'm finding the T1800 to be difficult to remove from its backing plate installed to the wall. I've never had a reason to remove it until now. My impression was that you pull outward on the two tabs at the bottom and it should come off at the bottom and then release from the top. But so far I've applied considerable pressure outward on the tabs without the unit coming off. It may well just be a matter of applying more pressure, but I thought it would be a good idea to check here for advice before I did that. I really don't want to break the unit during 100F degree weather, in case the new unit doesn't function.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks very much!
Working...
X