Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on which antenna for a Clear Hub Express

Hello,

I just started service with Clear using a Clear Hub Express WIXFBR-131. I have decent service but would like to enhance performance to bring the outside signal inside.

My current performence in -77db and 15db at the low end.

I live inline with two Clear towers. One is 500m away and the other is 750m way. I'm wondering which outdoor antenna would be best considering that I have to close signal sources that are 180 degrees apart. Would you recommend a panel or omnidirectional antenna?

Thanks for your help.

J

My current performance in -77db and 15db at the low end.
    is this your outdoor performance. Remember your expected results after you complete the project to install the outdoor antenna will be limited by how your modem performs outdoors without the antenna. I.e. you should not expect your performance to be much better than if you simply used the modem outdoors (although it will be somewhat better because of the higher gain antennas when compared to the unity gain integrated internal antennas -- and if you add two outdoor antennas you get additional MIMO benefit because these would be more uncorrelated than the inside antennas where space constraint limits their physical separation).

I live inline with two Clear towers. One is 500m away and the other is 750m way. I'm wondering which outdoor antenna would be best considering that I have to close signal sources that are 180 degrees apart. Would you recommend a panel or omnidirectional antenna?
    Here are my thoughts on this question: http://www.rfwel.com/forums/showthre...ar-Hub-Express
    KF7RCQ

Comment

If your modem is <1mi from a tower, either NLOS or LOS, with not much multipath reflections, then should you not get noticeably faster speed with a *directional* [narrow beam] than the basically 'no gain' omni internal antenna of the modem?
      Last edited by thuor; 08-02-2012, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Not necessarily. The modems have automatic gain control that adjusts the transmit power and receiver gain depending on how close you are to the tower (how strong your signal is). This helps not only to make sure that your radio performs well (too much signal would lead to nonlinearity/clipping etc which would lead to bit errors, but also helps to allow other distant users to have equal chance to "talk" to the tower.

In any case you may be <1mile from the tower but that tower may not even be serving your coverage zone.

If you are that close, and that tower is serving your location, you would not need a powerful antenna at all so if you are having signal strength issues then perhaps something else is going on.
        KF7RCQ

Comment

Originally posted by thuor View Post
          Not necessarily. The modems have automatic gain control that adjusts the transmit power and receiver gain depending on how close you are to the tower (how strong your signal is). This helps not only to make sure that your radio performs well (too much signal would lead to nonlinearity/clipping etc which would lead to bit errors, but also helps to allow other distant users to have equal chance to "talk" to the tower.

In any case you may be <1mile from the tower but that tower may not even be serving your coverage zone.

If you are that close, and that tower is serving your location, you would not need a powerful antenna at all so if you are having signal strength issues then perhaps something else is going on.
          ^in absence of the full post I made that you edited out for whatever reasoning, this response is misleading...at best

Comment

I cannot think of any reason why i would want to mislead ... i thought i was deleting an unnecessary block quotation (people tend to unnecessarily block quote entire prior posts cluttering the thread) let me see if i can get that back from archive and repost it and respond to it accordingly ...
            KF7RCQ

Comment

Here is the original quote that was accidentally deleted:

is this your outdoor performance. Remember your expected results after you complete the project to install the outdoor antenna will be limited by how your modem performs outdoors without the antenna. I.e. you should not expect your performance to be much better than if you simply used the modem outdoors (although it will be somewhat better because of the higher gain antennas when
              compared to the unity gain integrated internal antennas -- and if you add two outdoor antennas you get additional MIMO benefit because these would be more uncorrelated than the inside antennas where space constraint limits their physical separation).

Here are my thoughts on this question: http://www.rfwel.com/forums/showthre...ar-Hub-Express
              KF7RCQ

Comment

ok im assuming by the unanswered post you mean http://www.rfwel.com/forums/showthre...ar-Hub-Express I will respond to that now.
                KF7RCQ

Comment

Working...
                X