verizon modem to clear modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• verizon modem to clear modem

im done with my verizon fioz internet could i use the same external satellite cable that was connected to the verizon modem into to my clear modem?

Likely not. Each Verizon modem has a different external antenna port type (and some modems don't have any external antenna port at all). Some of the modems with external antenna ports are shown with this kit: http://www.rfwel.com/shop/4G-LTE-USB...enna-Kits.html
    KF7RCQ

Comment

that's actually the right connection that i needed, but i was wondering since the fioz modem was plugged into the external antenna could i use the same connection for clear modem as for my external antenna?

Comment

Guess i maybe don't understand the question at all. Quite confused. FIOS is Fiber Optic service not wireless. So not clear what you mean by "since the fioz modem was plugged into the external antenna." The Fios modem connects to a Optical Network Terminal (ONT) box usually outside your house at the service panels which terminates the fiber optic link and converts it to copper for distribution in your house. It doesn't connect to an antenna.

4G LTE is wireless and operates at the 700MHz band (LTE Band 13). Forward Link = 746 - 756 MHz, Reverse Link = 777 - 787MHz. Because this is somewhat of a low frequency (compared to for example WiMax at 2.5-2.7GHz) the coaxial cable quality is not too critical because the signal attenuation is proportional to frequency (can get away with LMR200 for example). Needs to be 50Ohms though so the 75Ohms CATV RG6 cable is no good.

If you are referring to satellite Internet then even this would not work because the satellite dish operates at a totally different and much higher frequency. For example Ku band (12 to 18 GHz), K band (18 to 26.5 GHz), ka band (26.5 to 40 GHz) etc. The IFL coax cable (Interfacility link) for satellite is typically 75 Ohms.

So i guess to answer your question: (1) If you have a 50 Ohm coaxial cable, (2) with the right connectors, (3) and connected to an antenna operating at 746-787 MHz, then yes you can re-use such a setup.
        KF7RCQ

Comment

got ya thank you for the info.

Comment

if i have 2 antennas piggy back to the modem primary/secondary will it be faster then just having it on the primary?

Comment

would it make a difference if i added an external antenna to my secondary port?

Comment

Hard to tell. It might. Depends on the propagation environment you are operating in. Having a secondary antenna connected is the most ideal setup anyway so this is always the recommended setup.

The reason i said it might is that MIMO works best when you have a multipath fading environment. I.e. you have signals arrival from the tower to your modem from multiple directions. This way the modem is able to use information from the signals arriving from different paths to do error correction. The technical description is that the paths from tower to primary and tower to secondary antenna should be as uncorrelated as possible to obtain the greatest MIMO diversity gain. So for example if you have a line-of-sight then you don't benefit much from MIMO and you therefore don't see much improvement with installing the AUX antenna. If on the other hand you don't have a line-of-sight but rather have multiple obstructions from the antennas to the tower then MIMO will really help improve the speed.

Because the RF channel is dynamic it's hard to predict without empirical data what your unique result would be. However, because installing the outdoor Secondary/AUX antenna could never hurt, if your budget allows, it is always better to do so because you will either get lots of improvement or just nominal improvement but unlikely to ever get a degradation in performance.
                KF7RCQ

Comment

when are you folks will be getting in the Motorola CPEi 725 uses a Murata SWD antenna pig tail in? i need to order one.

Comment

We have decided not to stock this pigtail. It is typically in stock at Mouser or Digikey.

Comment

Working...
                    X