Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this antenna correct for use with boosting clear wimax signal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this antenna correct for use with boosting clear wimax signal?

I'm looking to use equipment on hand before putting more money into this project.
    I have a Hawking HAI155C 2.4Ghz directional antenna I'd like to for boosting the signal to a Clear PXU1900 USB modem. I'm wondering if that would work for this application or if I would need to buy a different type of antenna.

Clear WiMax operates at 2.5-2.7GHz so a 2.4GHz WiFi antenna will not work.
    KF7RCQ

Comment

Thanks. I suspected as much, but wanted to verify that first.

Comment

Originally posted by thuor View Post
        Clear WiMax operates at 2.5-2.7GHz so a 2.4GHz WiFi antenna will not work.
        Will not work *well* or will not receive any signal at all???

I have seen antenna listed as being spec'd at 2.4-2.5Ghz, for both WiFi & Wimax , these will not "work"???

Comment

Will not work well. They will work. Remember an antenna is a passive radiator so a 2.4GHz antenna doesn't have a perfect cutoff at the upper ISM band of 2483.5MHz but rather rolls off past the band technically referred to as 2.4GHz.

However, because a 2.4GHz antenna was not tuned to 2.5-2.7GHz, the antenna properties in the WiMax band will be terrible and could very well make the antenna perform much worse than the internal integrated printed antennas in the modem (even if the gain has not fully rolled off to unity). E.g. VSWR could be very high leading to lots of reflected power.
          KF7RCQ

Comment

Working...
          X