New ClearSpot Apollo, what antenna?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ClearSpot Apollo, what antenna?

I just got a Clearspot base model in the mail, I can get anywhere from 8db to 15db on a window sill inside my house. I have not yet tested the signal outside of my house, but there are areas where I can consistently get green when I'm reaching it out the window.

I am thinking about getting the Apollo, which has 2 antenna ports on it and installing an antenna on my roof or outside a window.

What antenna should I use? What pigtail (other connector) is compatible with the port in the Apollo?

ALSO, I have problems getting WIFI service from that clearspot on the window sill in the front of my house throughout my house. Its about 17ft wide, 60ft long, and in the back of the house and the back yard, I get no service. Can standard wireless routers be used as WIFI repeaters off either the Apollo or the standard clearspot? Is there an antenna that accomplishes this better?

Thanks

Allow me to clarify, I am getting between an 8 and 15 CINR score, but is fairly consistently at 11/12. The RSSI stays in the low -80s, never gets above -82.

Comment

Yes while a high gain outdoor antenna would help your RSSI it may or may not improve your CINR (depends on if low CINR is caused by interference near the customer premise that would be mitigated by narrow bandwidth direction antennas or it has to do with multiuser interference that you could not affect).

Don't think we have a pigtail for the Apollo yet. It would be here: http://www.rfwel.com/shop/Cellular-d...-Pigtails.html and i dont see it. If you can post a pic of the antenna port perhaps it might be easy to identify it as similar to something we already have.

Once we get the pigtail will add it to this antenna kit: http://www.rfwel.com/shop/4G-USB-Mod...tenna-Kit.html (or if you get the pigtail from elsewhere you can get the antenna, cables, connectors as part of this kit and select no pigtail).

Can standard wireless routers be used as WIFI repeaters off either the Apollo or the standard clearspot? Is there an antenna that accomplishes this better?
      Some WiFi routers do have wireless bridge mode or repeater mode features such as WDS. There are also some AP specifically designed for this such as the Pepwave surf. Problem is that many of these are very sensitive as to different manufacturer and are not compatible or work poorly. Also WDS mode for example eats a lot of throughput.

Comment

Thanks. At minute 1:06 of this video you can see the 2 antenna ports.

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phone-a...-34857981.html

Comment

I will be getting an apollo next week, probably thursday or friday. I will post a pic then, if you werent able to bring up the video or the video was not detailed enough.

Comment

Here's a photo

I'm desperately trying to figure out what the adapter is - I'm attaching a picture of the ports.

Does anyone have an idea of what these are?

Cheers
            Arfon
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's a photo

I've taken a photo. Does anyone know what these ports are?

Originally posted by ntipton View Post
              I will be getting an apollo next week, probably thursday or friday. I will post a pic then, if you werent able to bring up the video or the video was not detailed enough.
              Attached Files

Comment

New ClearSpot Apollo, what antenna

It could be much helpful if you could measure the diameter of the antenna port .

Comment

Originally posted by kiki-rfsupplier View Post
                  It could be much helpful if you could measure the diameter of the antenna port .
                  Hi.
                  It's very hard to measure because it's recessed far into the case. My best measurement/estimate is ~3.8mm. The diameter is very similar to the diameter of my "old" external GPS antenna. Remember those days? :-)

The diameter is not bigger than 4.0mm and I very much doubt that it's smaller than 3.5mm. If you can give me an idea of what connector it may be, I can try to get one and try it. If I can buy it from digikey, even the better.

The case seems to snap together. I don't have any desire to try to take apart my Apollo modem and loose my net access. :-)

Thanks!

Comment

connector..

Seems like it's the same connector that's required for the Clear 4G USB PXU1900, the Hirose MS-147.

Looks like the same pattern shape as pictured:
                    http://www.rfwel.com/4g-data/index.php#

Comment

Working...
                    X