3G vs 4G antenna for clear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3G vs 4G antenna for clear

Hi, Do you have any Antenna for my Clear 4G wireless? Normally the 3G come with only 1 wire connect to the antenna but this 4G need 2 separate wires . I also need 50ft cable extension so I can put the antenna outside.

Yes we have several antennas that can work with this.
    Here is an outdoor directional panel antenna kit: http://www.rfwel.com/shop/?target=pr...roduct_id=1935. Depending on your situation one antenna will work just fine (put it in the primary antenna slot which is ďANT1Ē in the image shown here http://www.rfwel.com/4g-data/index.php#pxu1900 (PXU1900 modem).
    We have other styles of antennas here: http://www.rfwel.com/4g-data/wimax-a...wimax_antennas with different gain and specís. For example if you donít want to have to orient your antenna to direction of tower you can use an omnidirectional antenna such as: http://www.rfwel.com/shop/?target=pr...roduct_id=1877. But note this has lower gain that the panel above.
    Let me know if you have additional questions clarifications.
    KF7RCQ

Comment

For my Clear 4G WiMax PXU1900 modem, I already bought 4 kind of antenna from you + all the kits.

I also have another USB modem from Verizon 4G LTE Pantech UML290. Can I use those antenna with my 4G LTE Pantech UML290 ?

Comment

Verizon Pantech UML290 External antennas & pigtail

No. Verizon LTE operates in the 700MHz band whereas WiMax operates in the 2.6GHz band so these antennas are not compatible with LTE. Here are LTE antennas: http://www.rfwel.com/shop/700-MHz

Here is the pigtail you need for the Pantech UML290: http://www.rfwel.com/shop/Cellular-d...-Pigtails.html

The cables and lightning protection you got for the WiMax kits may be used for LTE just fine.
        KF7RCQ

Comment

Which Band?

1. So, Verizon is only 700MHz? Is that true for the OTHER LTE's ?
          2. I thought that Clear operated in a range 2400-2700 MHz.
          3. How can you tell which tower you are pointing to with the different modems.
          4.VOiP plays havoc on the wireless networks because ( at least mine) is not a steady D/L U/L speed. D/L can range from 0.7 to 2.5 in a ten minute span taking 15 measurments. Is there a tweak.? Most don't recommend wireless and/or only support cable or DSL.
          5. Why is the MAC adrress more restrictive than your Login? You should be able to use ANY modem for clear with your account.

Originally posted by thuor View Post
          No. Verizon LTE operates in the 700MHz band whereas WiMax operates in the 2.6GHz band so these antennas are not compatible with LTE. Here are LTE antennas: http://www.rfwel.com/shop/700-MHz

Here is the pigtail you need for the Pantech UML290: http://www.rfwel.com/shop/Cellular-d...-Pigtails.html

The cables and lightning protection you got for the WiMax kits may be used for LTE just fine.

Comment

1. So, Verizon is only 700MHz? Is that true for the OTHER LTE's ?
            There are not that many LTE deployments in the U.S. What frequency band carriers deploy on will pretty much depend on what bands they have available to them to operate on. AT&T has LTEband13 700MHz licenses as well as AWS 1700/2100 (and will pick up more AWS if merger with T-Mobile goes through). Clear recently confirmed they will lay LTE over their existing Wimax so this will go on their 2.5-2.7GHz band. If lightsquared has their way with the FCC they will deploy LTE on L1 band frequencies ~1.5GHz for MSS/ATC (mobile satellite service/ ancillary terrestrial component -- however potential interference with GPS might derail this efforts). So a simple answer is there's no simple answer as to where carriers will deploy LTE and in reality it doesnt matter. Lower frequencies are better for indoor coverage though.

2. I thought that Clear operated in a range 2400-2700 MHz.
            Clear WiMax operates at 2.5-2.7 GHz. 2.4GHz ISM frequency band is for WiFi.

3. How can you tell which tower you are pointing to with the different modems.
            The modem diagnostic page has a Base-station ID number and by orienting your antenna differently you can see if this changes signifying it's connecting to another base-station. In reality though you simply just need to orient your antenna to pick up the strongest signal. Note that due to multipath propagation and different channel impairments, the strongest signal may not be from the tower closest to you so it usually is not enough to know where the towers are (although knowing this gives you an initial guess as to what direction would have the strongest signal).

4.VOiP plays havoc on the wireless networks because ( at least mine) is not a steady D/L U/L speed. D/L can range from 0.7 to 2.5 in a ten minute span taking 15 measurments. Is there a tweak.? Most don't recommend wireless and/or only support cable or DSL.
            You are right in that VOIP requires predictable latency. However since it requires relatively low bitrate this is typically not an issue for 4G networks like WiMax. 700kbps (0.7mbps) is plenty for VOIP. The problem comes about when you are unexpectedly losing connectivity since unlike with data networks where if you have no connection then get a high speed data burst you would not notice since the average data rate would be good enough, for VOIP you will notice.

5. Why is the MAC adrress more restrictive than your Login? You should be able to use ANY modem for clear with your account.
            This is a Carrier issue. I agree 100%. Originally this was what was envisioned for Wimax that it would be an open network where certified devices could freely operate without restrictions. With a good equipment certification program that would eliminate troublesome equipment from their network carries need not try to control what devices operate on their network other than for profitability reasons.
            KF7RCQ

Comment

4G Antenna

1. The Video I was refering to was in Instructables.com http://www.instructables.com/id/Addi...-Motorola-CPE/
              You had to join (I thought) to see the whole progression, but it is on YouTube.
              2. Thanks for Explaining LTE, it really helped.
              3. I got a 2.4GHz Grid antenna months ago to use for Clear (wrongly advised), but the intructions were vague. I was not getting anything. Upon reviewing phoyos, I found PART of the problem...my reflector is perpendicular rather than parallel to the grid. Secondly, of course, Clear's band (as you explained), doesn't go down that low.
              4. I asked you about the Muranta probe for the M modem....a U.FL connection won't work as it does for the G Modem? Also, one person ( a fan of the GEMTEK Modems)said that the connectors for the M modem had a waxy buildup that had to be scraped off to be used.

5. So, with the proper antenna(s) [comming]. I have a 20ft LMR 400 cable with N connectors. Then to get it in the house...I'm using RP-SMA connections. No FMEs, MCX, MMCX, does this matter? Also, I've even seen some with F connectors and using RG58 or RG6 cables????
              6. Sorry for so many Questions...I thought this would be a simple as hooking up a TV antennae.
              7. So, for optimum performance I need 2 (two) antennas for each modem. And (if directional) pointed at different towers in range?
              8. Between the Home modems (either opinion or intellect ), which of the two modems is better (and why) the M or G .
              ****** After spending an hour trying to post this my modem is roaming???? I hope I don't loose this...I try to switch to the slower 3G USB modem****

[QUOTE=thuor;1959]There are not that many LTE deployments in the U.S. What frequency band carriers deploy on will pretty much depend on what bands they have available to them to operate on. AT&T has LTEband13 700MHz licenses as well as AWS 1700/2100 (and will pick up more AWS if merger with T-Mobile goes through). Clear recently confirmed they will lay LTE over their existing Wimax so this will go on their 2.5-2.7GHz band. If lightsquared has their way with the FCC they will deploy LTE on L1 band frequencies ~1.5GHz for MSS/ATC (mobile satellite service/ ancillary terrestrial component -- however potential interference with GPS might derail this efforts). So a simple answer is there's no simple answer as to where carriers will deploy LTE and in reality it doesnt matter. Lower frequencies are better for indoor coverage though.

Clear WiMax operates at 2.5-2.7 GHz. 2.4GHz ISM frequency band is for WiFi.

Comment

4. I asked you about the Muranta probe for the M modem....a U.FL connection won't work as it does for the G Modem? Also, one person ( a fan of the GEMTEK Modems)said that the connectors for the M modem had a waxy buildup that had to be scraped off to be used.
                Saw the Video. They have the Motorola CPEi725 modem which has an SWD connector hence you need the Murata probe. Some Motorola modems do use U.FL. I guess once you open it up you will see what is used. These are not interchangeable. Here is the U.FL pigtail - http://www.rfwel.com/shop/8-N-Female...e-Pigtail.html.

5. So, with the proper antenna(s) [comming]. I have a 20ft LMR 400 cable with N connectors. Then to get it in the house...I'm using RP-SMA connections. No FMEs, MCX, MMCX, does this matter?
                No doesn't matter provided of course you have the correct adapters to mate the RP-SMA to N-Male. You can find those here: http://www.rfwel.com/signal_improvem...n_adapters.php

Also, I've even seen some with F connectors and using RG58 or RG6 cables????
                No absolutely not. These cables are not designed for such high frequencies. You may get away with it for short runs but when you start running longer cables your attenuation will be hard to ignore. For example LMR-400 cable has an attenuation of ~6.9dB/100ft @2.6GHz while RG-58 has 25.9dB/100ft and RG-6 about 16dB/100ft. This means with a 20ft LMR-400 cable running a Clear WiMax signal at 2500-2700 MHz you will lose about 1.4dB and 5.2dB for RG-58 and 3.3dB for RG-6 (now if you recall that dB is a logarithmic scale and 3dB represents half power loss then you can see how choice of cable is quite significant).

6. Sorry for so many Questions...I thought this would be a simple as hooking up a TV antennae.
                No problem glad I could clarify this. Again the difference is the frequency VHF/UHF vs Microwave frequencies. The lower the frequency the more forgiving the connections are. For example the same 20ft RG-6 cable at TV channel 10 frequency (VHF High Band of ~195MHz) will now only attenuate that TV signal just 0.8dB (vs 3.3dB at 2600MHz).

7. So, for optimum performance I need 2 (two) antennas for each modem. And (if directional) pointed at different towers in range?
                Yes. A lot of times you get away with just one antenna especially if your outdoor signal is quite strong.

8. Between the Home modems (either opinion or intellect ), which of the two modems is better (and why) the M or G .
                ****** After spending an hour trying to post this my modem is roaming???? I hope I don't loose this...I try to switch to the slower 3G USB modem****
                No opinion really but one is made by Motorola a well known American company who is a leader in Wireless radio design and the other by Gemtek a not very well known (at least in the U.S.A) Taiwanese company ...
                KF7RCQ

Comment

Working...
                X