AT&T Express Card getting stuck in the KR2 and the MRB1000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT&T Express Card getting stuck in the KR2 and the MRB1000

Anyone been able to get this combo to work? We ordered two of the KR2's and got a Sprint card to work immediately. Unfortunately, our Option express card got stuck in the other router and then the router seemed to fail. Card worked in my laptop but never would connect to the internet throught the KR2. The power adapter was bad out of the box so we connected the other adapter we have. We had to send the whole thing back to RF Wireless with the card still in it. Kyocera was no help as they could only tell me that the card was compatible, that it should work and that I might void the warranty if I damage the router trying to get my card out. Anyone else have any these problems?

First the firmware to enable the KR2 to work with the Option GT Max Express is available here>>>. This firmware should enable the Kyocera KR2 to work with the Option GT Max Express which is HSDPA card.

Notes on how to update the firmware, or how to troubleshoot once you have performed the firmware update on the Kyocera KR2 are available here>>>

Please let us know if your card works after performing the above procedures. In regards to your card getting stuck in the router, we have never actually experienced that before. We will look further into this and get back to you.

Comment

Updating the firmware was the first thing I did before I ever even inserted the card. The tech at Kyocera confirmed that I had the newest firmware. That is not the issue.

BTW, you've never had that problem before? Your name was on our RMA that was isued this afternoon for our router. Anyway, you'll get to deal with it personally as you will have our express card and broken router tomorrow or the next day.

Next idea?
      Last edited by B.D.Springmeyer; 05-13-2008, 05:51 PM. Reason: Added information

Comment

I could have sworn I have seen the Option GT max 3.6 express work with the Cradlepoint MBR1000 - and since the MBR1000 is exactly identical internally to the KR2 i would be surprised if the KR2 didn't work. I think we have some demo Option GT max cards we could test this out with if yours is toast and have a definitive answer.

Also see below straight out of the MBR1000 release note for rev1.2 firmware:

Improved GSM support. The Status -> Modem Info page now shows the available profiles as
        provided by the phone/modem. If the user has a preference on the profile that is used to connect
        (or if the phone/modem does not connect automatically), the user can force a specific profile to
        be used with the Advanced -> Modem Settings -> AT Dial Script box. To pick profile 1, use
        ATDT*99***1#, profile 2 is ATDT*99***2#, etc.

Attached Files
        KF7RCQ

Comment

Our card should be fine. It's brand new and worked fine when it was installed in my laptop. Zero connection issues.

When we plugged it into the router, under the "status" section it continually said "establishing connection..." and never moved from there no matter how long we left it.

Luckily, Gerrick (sp?) at RfWel said he'd get us a new router as well as test our card in it to make sure it works. I can't really complain about the service we've received from RfWel and I'm sorry if I sounded like I was taking it out on mwaurad. They really have bent over backwards for us. It's just very frustrating when you get a new product that has QC issues right out of the box and then the manufaturers customer support was basically "Did you try turning it off and then back on?".

I just hope this thing works when I get it back.
          Last edited by B.D.Springmeyer; 05-14-2008, 01:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

AT&T Option GT Express Stuck in KR2

BTW, you've never had that problem before?
            Well you just spooked us . We just received another case where same card is stuck in a KR2 so it does look like this is a design flaw that will need to be addressed by the manufacturers. It looks like the part on the card where you slide the SIM card in is getting stuck on the router as you pull it out. Hate to have to suggest buying more stuff with an already expensive router but if anyone is concerned about this consider an Express to PCMCIA or Express to USB adapter: http://www.rfwel.com/shop/home.php?cat=97 In any case chances are most people already need this to use their Express card on laptops without an express slot or with desktops.
            KF7RCQ

Comment

AT&T Express Card getting stuck in the KR2

We have had a few customers that are claiming that their AT&T ExpressCard is getting stuck in the router. I actually have one in front of me that a customer sent us to look at. What seems to be happening is the slot where the SIM card goes in is getting hung up on the exrpess slot some how. We also have customers with the same issue that got the MBR1000.

We have the issue being looked into by the manufacturer and hope to have a resolution soon. If any one else is experiencing this please post your situation here. Thanks
              Last edited by noneya; 05-14-2008, 04:57 PM.

Comment

The Manufacturer is now aware of the issue.....

I have received your router and to not avail the AT&T card is very stuck. We have contacted the manufacturer and they are now aware of the issue. We are waiting to here back from them on a solution. We will definitely keep you informed as we find anything out. Thank you for your patience. - Garrick -

Originally posted by B.D.Springmeyer View Post
                Our card should be fine. It's brand new and worked fine when it was installed in my laptop. Zero connection issues.

When we plugged it into the router, under the "status" section it continually said "establishing connection..." and never moved from there no matter how long we left it.

Luckily, Gerrick (sp?) at RfWel said he'd get us a new router as well as test our card in it to make sure it works. I can't really complain about the service we've received from RfWel and I'm sorry if I sounded like I was taking it out on mwaurad. They really have bent over backwards for us. It's just very frustrating when you get a new product that has QC issues right out of the box and then the manufaturers customer support was basically "Did you try turning it off and then back on?".

I just hope this thing works when I get it back.
                Last edited by noneya; 05-15-2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Well, due to the fact that we have helped identify a design flaw at Kyocera, I would hope that someone might consider sending us said adapter (preferably an expresscard to pc card adapter) at no cost. Afterall, Kyocera did claim that that specific card was compatible in their literature. Also, I hope we don't have to wait long for Kyocera to allow you to take apart that router to free our card. We are paying a monthly fee for that card and every day without it is costing us money.

Thanks.

Comment

We have found a fix for the AT&T Express Card issue...

Here is what is happening. The slot where the sim card slides in is getting caught up on a little prong inside the express card slot. The manufacturer stated that they are modifying the design a little to solve this issue.

If your AT&T Express Card has gotten stuck in the MBR1000 or the KR2 mobile routers here is what you have to do to get it out:

- Take a business card that is cut to the width of the express car slot.
                    - Make sure that the express card is seated all the way in the router.
                    - Take the business card and slide it in as far as you can. ( This will depress the little fork that the sim card slot it getting caught up on)
                    - Then hold firmly on both the express card and the business card and pull them out. It should come out fairly eaisly.

To keep this from happening again you can just put a little piece of tape over the express card slot. That will keep it from getting caught up again.

Click here to watch the video on how to resolve this issue.
                    Last edited by noneya; 05-16-2008, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Update on your issue....

We have gotten the card out of the router, we are currently testing the new kr2 with your AT&T express card as we speak. Just thought I would update you on the situation.

Originally posted by B.D.Springmeyer View Post
                      Well, due to the fact that we have helped identify a design flaw at Kyocera, I would hope that someone might consider sending us said adapter (preferably an expresscard to pc card adapter) at no cost. Afterall, Kyocera did claim that that specific card was compatible in their literature. Also, I hope we don't have to wait long for Kyocera to allow you to take apart that router to free our card. We are paying a monthly fee for that card and every day without it is costing us money.

Thanks.

Comment

Just to update anyone using this forum, be aware that our card still does not work in the second KR2 we received. I have played with it for two hours and cannot get it to connect to the cellular network. Card works fine when installed in my laptop. Card is unable to connect to the network when in the router. Trying the Cradlepoint next, which probably won't work either, but it's worth a shot.

Has anyone, besides RfWel, got this combo to work?

Comment

It definitely does work. Two of our techs checked it out to confirm. I would be very concerned about the received signal strength and/or supported data protocol in your area. We have seen instances in the past where 3G cellular routers did not automatically support all data protocols that the data modem supported or some other wierd advanced networking bugs affecting only specific geographic areas (which the laptop TCP/IP protocol stack was able to correct for while the router stack did not).

We tested this in Gilbert, AZ, 85234 which has HSDPA deployed and not sure if we forced the card to EDGE to see if that would work as well. Our AT&T signal strength is always strong usually better than -80dBm. What RSSI are you reading from your configuration manager when connected to laptop. Also does a simple ping work but port80 html browsing fail or do both fail? What's the fastest protocol you have in your area for AT&T?
                          KF7RCQ

Comment

So what was the end result?

With B.D. Springmeyer and the third router? Assumption is that the MBR1000 has not given them any issues.............

Comment

Working...
                            X